Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Lyme Pregnancy Journal Is Back


Hi Friends,

I've been entertaining the idea for a while, but tonight I decided to open up the LPJ and pick up where I left off a couple of years ago.

I will start by saying that I am not, I repeat, I am NOT pregnant (don't worry, Mom!), but a few realizations have hit me over recent months and I'm inspired to write again:

1. I have kept up with current protocols and treatment guidelines, and some of them have changed since I began this project four years ago

2. I still get just as many emails from women who are pregnant or considering becoming pregnant as I did when this blog was active. This tells me that current resources are still lacking, and I want to help if I can

3. When I was pregnant, I was IN it. Everything felt urgent because I was sick, hormonal, scared as hell, and man, looking back on these entries, you really got a play-by-play of my life, which is kind of weird but also a little cool because I immediately rehashed doctor info and explained bizarre physical symptoms. I am here now to say that the retrospective portion of this pregnancy story will be just as helpful. There are things I would have done differently. Some the same. I would have prepared more for life AFTER baby, which I will get into later

4. I try to stay off of the Lyme/Facebook forums as much as possible, because they either depress me or make me want to kick people, which says a lot because I'm CLEARLY a lover not a fighter, and besides that, I don't waste my spoons! When we start these health blogs, I'm not sure we all realize how greatly our words can impact a reader, so while it's good to be able to vent our frustrations about chronic illness, if we are spreading fear, negativity, or inaccurate information in the process, we are not really helping our healing cause. That said, the doom and gloom in Lyme Land is bringing me down, and I'd like to counteract that with a little dose of positive realism and sprinkle in some hope. The beautiful thing about having the internet AND freedom of speech is that, while I may (respectfully) disagree with some sentiments about never being able to have kids while battling Lyme, I can offer you the other side (what you're hoping is true in your heart or else you would not be reading this blog): If you feel up to the challenge, yeah you sure as hell can

There are a whole bunch of pregnant Lyme moms this month-- more than usual have reached out.
I thought it might be a good idea to have an old school Q&A post similar to the entries from the beginning of the LPJ. Within the next week I'll compile a list of my most received Lyme pregnancy questions and answer them here. In the meantime, if you have any questions you'd like answered, please post them in the comments section or email them to me asap: lymepregnancy@gmail.com if you're not into posting publicly.

I look forward to hearing from old friends and making new ones. I hope you are all doing well and feeling as healthy as can be.

*Note: My brain isn't what it used to be. Mush and vertigo after ten minutes of nighttime computer, so please excuse any errors. It's not laziness-- just the best I can do until I start making money and can hire a proofreader ;)




17 comments:

  1. I would love to share my very successful Lyme pregnancy story if you are interested. Let me know and I'd email you a post. Daniellephillipp (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear your story! I realy want to TTC soon and love success stories. Were you in remission/off meds prior to TTC? Were you on antibiotics during your pregnancy?
      ~Steph

      Delete
  2. Yes please! I am open to guest posts. Please email lymepregnancy@gmail.com to discuss. This is an open invitation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know, do you believe that you have to be on 9 months of antibiotics to have a healthy baby? I have heard this rumor...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question. I will definitely address antibiotics (a few doctors' thoughts, what I did, and a few ideas based on the protocols of other pregnant women). Quick answer: (and I'm not a doctor, so this is strictly opinion) depends on the health of the woman when she becomes pregnant and how long has she been treated. One month pregnant, mysteriously sick for ages and finally get a big fat glaring positive Lyme test? Stock up on pills. Treated for 6 years with various methods, considered in remission with minor complaints here and there? 9 months of antibiotics seems like overkill. As usual in Lyme Land, it depends on your doctor and how YOU feel. I did the full 9 months with my first but felt absolutely poisoned by them with my second child and had to stop until the last month. Both kids are healthy. I think all LLMDs want you to get at least some in if you can't do the full 9. First and third trimesters are most important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great question that I'm debating myself. Being off abx for almost 2 years and feeling good but wondering if I should be on abx to protect future baby #2.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you are going to be updating the blog! I have had lyme for 18 mos--or been in treatment that long, anyway. I am feeling mostly decent and really want to try to have another baby, sometime soon. I have read almost your entire blog and googled "Lyme and pregnancy" almost a million times looking for any new info or success stories. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts about it and even other people's stories, if they are willing to share. My questions would be...how "well" people were prior to getting pregnant, what antibiotics were taken during and if taken for the entire duration, only part, etc., and also thoughts on breastfeeding. I know everyone situation is different but it definitely helps me to hear what others have gone through with a Lyme pregnancy.I feel so desperate for information on this topic and any support would be amazing! You look so beautiful in your picture and your kiddos are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I am so excited to see you are back. I've had lyme since 2002 but have been doing much better. We just went through fertility treatment and I am pregnant with our first. I worry about taking too much antibiotics and then I worry about taking too little. I am excited for your posts! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are back! I would like to know the latest on breastfeeding with history of Lyme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to see you thought about starting this up again! Just incase anyone out there wants to hear a positive story, I can briefly share mine. I was sick for 6 years with lyme before getting pregnant (on purpose). I felt super fantastic while pregnant and I took azithromycin my entire pregnancy because that is what I felt comfortable doing. My child (now 7 months) is healthy and happy (was breastfed for 6 months) and doing well. My suggestion to all women with lyme thinking about having children, is if you are feeling well enough and are up for the road ahead, to do it. Do not stress yourself out (easier said than done I know) the entire pregnancy with the "what if", enjoy the pregnancy if you can and have faith knowing that you have done everything you can to have a healthy child. When we were thinking about having a child, I would ask myself if it was selfish because of the risk of passing on my lyme, but I realized that even 100% healthy women still have babies with health issues. As long as your lyme is "under control", feel confident in your choice to have children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you heard of the brand My Tummy? They were recommended to me for maternity wear and they have some really lovely designs! They also do great looking breastfeeding clothes (and maternity dresses which I'm in love with!). www.MyTummy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. My wife is pregnant is beyond excited about it. I am as well, and I'm trying to find ways that can help her get through this pregnancy. This has some great points that I think can help her stay healthy and happy while going through the various stages of this whole process. http://www.lma-llc.com/patients/about.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, it would be great to know if one goes back on abx during pregnancy, what food to avoid, to avoid c-diff etc.? Another thing to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is good pregnant girls should avoid all these things for those who cannot conceive can try pregnancy miracle - lisapregnancymiraclereview.com it will help them

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don’t think of anything else just contact Dr Abalaka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to conceive due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the Priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Dr Abalaka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Dr on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    Fibroid
    High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
    Diabetes
    Infection, regular body pains
    Blockage from the fallopian Tube
    Cyst from the ovaries
    Unpleasant smell from the virginal
    Irregular menstruation
    Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
    Infertility for easy Conception.......
    Erectile dysfunction treatment
    Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Get your ex back
    Happiness in relationship
    Command respect in the society
    Enlarge your Penis/breast with no side effect
    Impotent solution
    Obesity solution
    Romanticism solutions
    Cancer of the blood
    Sickle cell
    Epilepsy
    Lupus disease
    Insomnia
    Parkinson disease
    General consultation
    Those are the things he does, You can simply contact the spiritualist Dr Abalaka on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ReplyDelete